Monday, March 30, 2009

Mommy Monday

First of all, I hope Matt doesn't kill me for having a post title "Mommy Monday." I know, you thought this was a training blog. Well, you're right. On Mondays, I will feature a post about prenatal training, post-partum training and everything in between. (OK, maybe not everything, but you get my point.)

I get alot of questions asking about what women should do while their pregnant. Some have training backgrounds, some don't. And while I will say upfront, that each woman is different and each pregnancy is different, I hope these posts will give some guidelines on what can and shouldn't be done.

FIRST TRIMESTER

Most women don't even know they are pregnant until they are at least 6 weeks along, if not farther. Most of your training can remain the same during the first trimester. You probably won't be showing yet so the size of your stomach shouldn't be an issue. The only thing that may really hinder you is the FATIGUE. If you're anything like me, I wanted to sleep all day. So my motivation to train was miniscule.

I continued to squat, bench, and deadlift heavy and my speed work remained the same intensity as well. Of course, I would recommend you go with whatever you are comfortable with. If you don't feel comfortable doing a true max effort lift, then I would recommend doing sub-max for reps (3-5). Keep all your accessory work the same as well. Continue with your training as much as you can. It's during the second trimester that you'll need to make some adjustments. (Stay tuned for that next week.)

As for your nutrition, make sure you are taking prenatal vitamins and I would also recommend a GOOD fish oil. Eat well and add a couple hundred extra calories a day. It's not as much as it seems - maybe an extra shake or a couple pieces of fruit. Especially if you have morning sickness and are throwing up. If that's the case - lots of liquids and anything you can hold down!

Good luck and until next week....

No comments: