Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Tainted Supplements?

As a collegiate strength coach, part of my job is to guide our athletes nutritionally. And just like the recreational lifter and powerlifter, these athletes are looking for something to help them in their strength gains, mass gains, or recovery process. Therefore, they turn to the ever-growing supplement company to give them what they are looking for.



As a college strength coach, it is also my "job" to inform the athletes that any supplement they take is not regulated by the FDA and may possibly contain illegal substances resulting in a positive drug test.



So when I received an email from John Berardi of Precision Nutrition about tainted supplements, I was very interested. Because after all, I've always heard that supplements could be tainted, but never really knew how often that happened. And since supplements in athletics is something I deal with, I wanting to see what he had to say.



You can check out the article here.



(Note to reader: I am not here to discuss anabolic steroids or supplements and whether they are right or wrong. I am not here to discuss which supplements are good or bad. I am simply offering this bit of information for you to take what you want from it. As a strength coach, I feel that we need to keep our eyes open so that our athletes are successful.)

No comments: