Thursday, May 21, 2009

Mommy Monday Thursday

Yes, I realize it's Thursday, but I wanted to get another Mommy Monday post up here.

I've already covered the first and second trimesters, so if you missed those, be sure to check them out.

THIRD TRIMESTER

If you've made it this far and you're still working out, KUDOS! It's tough to stick it out for the entire pregnancy as fatigue (and your growing belly) can get in the way (pun intended). I look at the third trimester as mainly a maintenance phase. At this point, the baby has developed all major organs and now just needs to grow! So providing it with lots of GOOD nutrition and rest is key.

Unless you are a veteran powerlifter, I would cut back any max effort lifting in exchange for some repetition work. Keep all your pressing movements in the standing or sitting position or inclined (try to avoid laying flat on your back). Most of my upper body movements consisted of various incline presses, shoulder presses and pullups.

Lower body exercises can get tricky since the baby is significantly bigger. Plus, the ligaments in the pelvis begin to loosen so caution needs to be taken when squatting and lunging. I still did box squats throughout my third trimester, but I did lower the intensity. Most of my other lower body exercises consisted of step-ups, glute ham raises, bird dogs and other prehab/rehab exercises. I will advise caution when doing lower body exercises.... because the baby already puts some stress on the lower back, only do what is comfortable for you.

Stay tuned for a post on Postnatal exercises and how to get your pre-baby body back!

No comments: